Make 2021 a positive year to remember and mentor a young person!
Voluntary (travel, subsistence and activities expenses paid)
Hours: Flexible (1-2 hours per week, outside of school hours)
Duration: Up to 6 months
Shaathi Family Mentoring is a project of the Osmani Trust. The Trust is a youth and community organisation that offers a wide range of youth, community and sports services.
Shaathi implements an early intervention approach in working with disadvantaged young people. Many of our clients are identified as being at risk of becoming excluded from mainstream services such as education, training and employment or are engaged in anti-social behaviour or known to the criminal justice system, struggling with challenges of day to day life.
- As a mentor, you will guide and support a young person aged 10 – 18 for up to 6 months, meeting them on a weekly or fortnightly basis to engage in positive recreational activities such as sports, local events, learning a new skill or doing something they enjoy (Covid-19 safety measures will be applied). You will need to understand the challenges faced by young people in Tower Hamlets as well as have the ability to help address their specific nee
- As a mentor, you will play an important role in helping your matched young person achieve personal goals, gain self-confidence, develop more positive relationships and build social and emotional skills.
Mentees may be facing challenges at school, home or with their peers which is affecting their confidence, well-being and progress in life. Mentoring young people at this stage of their lives can and does make a crucial difference to their future success. If you feel you have what it takes to work with vulnerable young people we look forward to hearing from you.
Mentors will be reimbursed for the cost of travel and mentee activity expenses. Additional benefits for mentors are:
- Ongoing support and training
- Develop mentoring and other new skills
- Career development
- Meet new people, have fun and make new friends
- Give something back to your community
- Make a positive contribution to a young person
At least 50% of our mentees are young boys who would greatly benefit from having a positive male role model in their lives. Therefore, we are particularly encouraging male volunteers to apply. If you feel you are suitable, we would love to hear from you. No previous experience necessary, full induction, support and training provided.
Successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced DBS (criminal record) and satisfactory reference checks.