Osmani Trust is bidding to bag a massive cash boost from the Tesco Bags of Help initiative.
Tesco teamed up with Groundwork to launch its community funding scheme, which sees grants of £4,000, £2,000 and £1,000 raised from carrier bag sales in Tesco stores awarded to local community projects.
Three groups in every Tesco region have been shortlisted to receive the cash award and shoppers are being invited to head along to Tesco stores to vote for who they think should take away the top grant.
Osmani Trust is one of the groups on the shortlist.
Osmani Café Befriending Project aims to reduce loneliness and isolation amongst older and disabled people in our community by organising weekly coffee mornings in our community café, delivering workshops & talks, organising celebration days and day trips for the local residents.
“We want to create an inclusive and supportive society where everyone is welcomed and no one feels left out” Shafiur Rahman, Executive Director.
Voting is open in all Tesco stores from 1st Sept to 31st Oct 2018 and customers will cast their vote using a token given to them at the check-out in store each time they shop.
Tesco’s Bags of Help project has already delivered over £56 million to more than 16,000 projects across Britain. Tesco customers get the chance to vote for three different groups every time they shop. Every other month, when votes are collected, three groups in each of Tesco’s regions will be awarded funding.
Alec Brown, Head of Community at Tesco, said:
“Bags of Help has been a fantastic success and we’ve been overwhelmed by the response from customers. It’s such a special scheme because it’s local people who decide how the money will be spent in their community. There are some fantastic projects on the shortlists and we can’t wait to see these come to life in hundreds of communities.”
Groundwork’s National Chief Executive, Graham Duxbury, said:
“Bags of Help continues to enable local communities up and down Britain to improve the local spaces and places that matter to them. The diversity of projects that are being funded shows that local communities have a passion to create something great in their area. We are pleased to be able to be a part of the journey and provide support and encouragement to help local communities thrive.”
Funding is available to community groups and charities looking to fund local projects that bring benefits to communities. Anyone can nominate a project and organisations can apply online. To find out more visit www.tesco.com/bagsofhelp.
Notes to editors:
- The Bags of Help initiative is supported by money raised from carrier bag sales in Tesco stores.
- So far Bags of Help has awarded more than £56 million to over 16,000 community projects.
- For more information please visit: www.tesco.com/bagsofhelp.
- For more information about Osmani Trust visit: www.osmanitrust.org or contact Shafiur Rahman on 020 7247 8080
Please see below a list of stores taking part in the voting
5599 226 COMMERCIAL RD EXP E1 2BT Express
5418 45 WHITECHAPEL RD EXP E1 1DU Express
5946 452 HACKNEY RD LD EXP E2 9EG Express
6063 BALTIMORE IOD EXP E14 9RB Express
2092 BETHNAL GREEN METRO E2 0AN Metro
5898 BOW MERCHANTS QTR EXP E3 4LU Express
4400 BOW METRO E3 5GS Metro
5989 BOW VIOLET RD LON EXP E3 3AE Express
2152 BROMLEY BY BOW E3 3DA Superstore
2239 CANARY WHARF METRO E14 4QT Metro
5282 COMMERCIAL ST LON EXP E1 6NF Express
6005 FRANCES WHARF LON EXP E14 7BY Express
6898 ISLE OF DG MNCSTR EXP E14 3NX Express
6363 LDN BETHNAL GRN EXP E2 6AH Express
5736 LIMEHOUSE COMM RD EXP E14 7LW Express
4389 LONDON ALDGATE EXP E1 6BF Express
2249 LONDON ST KTHRINE EXP E1W 1LE Express
6593 MARSH WALL EXP E14 9AB Express
6009 MILE END RD LOND EXP E1 4UJ Express
5430 MILLHARBOUR IOD EXP E14 9NA Express
6289 SOUTH PLAZA IOD EXP E14 9SH Express
6601 WHITECHAPEL FIELDGATE E1 1ES Superstore
5956 90 MANSELL ST LON EXP E1 8AL Express
5380 ALDERSGATE EXPRESS EC1A 4JQ Express
2097 BISHOPSGATE METRO EC2M 4LN Metro
2265 CHEAPSIDE METRO EC2V 6EE Metro
5158 HOLBORN VIADUCT EXP EC1A 2AT Express
6346 LDN ST BOTOLPHS EXP EC3A 7DH Express
6077 LONDON BLACKFRIAR EXP EC4Y 0AA Express
5152 LONDON SMITHFIELD EXP EC1A 9LA Express
5130 MONUMENT METRO EC3M 1AE Metro
6042 ST PAULS LONDON EXP EC2V 6ET Express
5157 OLD BROAD ST EXP EC2N 1AR Express
To check the location of any of the above stores, please go to the tesco website here:
To vote, you will need to make a purchase within store of any value. You will receive one token per transaction and it’s not necessary to purchase a carrier bag in order to receive a token.
Additionally, please note the below advice in terms of do’s and don’ts before and during the voting period:
– Tamper with the voting unit otherwise your project may be void from the vote
– Influence customers casting their vote at the voting unit.
– Encourage supporters to submit multiple tokens in the voting unit
– Promote your project in store without permission from the Store Manager
– Collect Bags of Help tokens from stores that are not within your region to vote for your project
– Cast your vote as soon as you receive your token for a project in the current voting round
– Only submit Tesco Bags of Help token to cast your vote
– Maximise promotion of your project during the voting period by making best use of PR and Social Media guidance – https://www.groundwork.org.uk/Sites/tescocommunityscheme/pages/bags-of-help-communications-guidance