Tower Hamlets Communities Raise Concerns with Mayor Biggs at Public Meeting on Acid Attacks and Community Safety
Osmani Trust organised a Public Meeting on Weds 13th Sept at the Osmani Centre to;
- To inform public regarding what the local authority, police and other agencies are doing about community safety in general and acid attacks in particular in light of a number of incidences in Tower Hamlets and East London in the past few months.
- To listen to concerns of the local community and other stakeholders
The following speakers took part in a panel Q&A addressing the community
- Tower Hamlets Mayor John Biggs
- Shaynul Khan – Victim Representative
- Ann Corbett, Community Safety, London Borough of Tower Hamlets
- D/Supt Mark Broom – Tower Hamlets Met Police Service
- Dilowar Hussain Khan – Executive Director East London Mosque
- Cllr Sirajul Islam – Statutory Deputy Mayor – London Borough of Tower Hamlets
- Imadul Islam – Chair Osmani Trust
- Shafiur Rahman – Executive Director Osmani Trust
Shaynul Khan speaking on behalf of the victims of a recent attack in Tower Hamlets said “this has been an extremely traumatic experience for the victims and their families due to a despicable crime which has changed their lives forever, we all want full justice now…”
A number of residents raised the problem of open drug dealing in streets and near estates as a major ongoing problem for their safety. Some women raised the issue of safety of women and the fear that women were living in after recent acid attacks and asked for authorities to do more to make women feel safer.
Tower Hamlets Mayor John Biggs praised Osmani Trust for organising the meeting and promised the full support of the Council to support victims and to work with police, organisations and the community to make the borough a safer place.
Imadul Islam Chair of Osmani Trust said “we all need to work together, Council, community and organisations and put the resources into organisations and projects that can help young people away from crime and direct them towards positive activities….”