Osmani Trust is a youth and community organisation based in Tower Hamlets. The Trust offers a wide range of community, health and sporting initiatives tailored to the needs of the community. It aims to provide a holistic service, which helps people, particularly those living in disadvantaged urban communities to re-engage with mainstream society and improve their quality of life.
Through its provisions, Osmani Trust seeks to address issues impacting the community including substance misuse, racial tensions, criminality and anti-social behaviour, territoriality and gang-related violence, unemployment and overcrowding, lack of training and employment opportunities. It also places strong emphasis on the health and social welfare of the community.
Osmani Trust works with ordinary people helping them to do extraordinary things.
“Helping ordinary people do extraordinary things”
“To provide an excellent youth and community service that is creative and accessible”
Aims and Objectives
- To establish a multi-purpose youth and community centre.
- To advance further community development initiatives based upon local needs.
- To advance the education of young people and their families living in disadvantaged communities.
- To improve the quality of life of young people through the provision of recreational activities.
- To promote health and wellbeing of local people through healthy eating and physical activity.
- To promote partnership work with other services and community organisations.
Our Core Values
- Culturally inclusive
- Open and accountable
- Community focused
- Inspire change
- Be relevant today and ready for tomorrow
Who We Are
We are an independent community led organisation led by a Board of Trustees. We are a local grass roots organisation with an open membership policy. We provide holistic solutions to local problems and challenges. We are committed to empowering the local community in making a difference to their lives.
What We Do
- We offer a wide range of community, health and sporting initiatives tailored to the needs of the local community.
- We support people, particularly those living in disadvantaged urban communities to re-engage with mainstream society and improve their quality of life.
- We seek to address issues impacting the local community. This includes substance misuse, racial tensions, criminality and anti-social behaviour, territoriality and gang-related violence, unemployment and overcrowding, lack of training and employment opportunities.
- We also place strong emphasis on the health and social welfare of the community. This includes promoting healthy eating, physical activity, sports participation and smoke cessation.
Osmani Trust was created following the merger of Elite Youth and Brick Lane Youth Development Association in 2009. One of the key drivers for this was the Tower Hamlets Council’s decision to invest the sum of £4.4 million towards the development of the new Osmani Centre.
Prior to this the Trust has had a rich history of serving the local community of Tower Hamlets and Newham spanning over 30 – 40 years. Originally this was focussed at the needs of the Bangladeshi youth and the issues that were affecting them such as racism, gang violence, drugs misuse and sports inequality.
Over the last decade we have opened and expanded our range of provision. We are now increasingly working with the wider diverse community of Tower Hamlets. Our service now include mentoring, employment, education, as well as adult health & well-being. The Trust engages well over 800 people on a weekly basis. This equates to over 40,000 contacts on an annual basis.