SCP is an early intervention programme that aims to divert young people (13-21 yrs.) in Tower Hamlets, in the initial stages of or at risk of drug dealing, away from further involvement and supports them to make positive life choices.
Second Chance achieves this through developing a trusting relationship, intensive mentoring sessions, and a wide range of support to address personal challenges. SCP works in partnership with local schools, youth organisations, SNTs, YJS, housing associations as well the Met Police who make direct referrals.
Second Chance Mentoring
We provide weekly 1:1 mentoring sessions for young people. During the mentoring programme, young people are:
- Befriended using a non-judgemental approach
- Made aware of consequences of drug dealing
- Advised and empowered to make positive choices
- Offered alternative activities to support physical and mental development
- Supported in setting and achieving practical goals
A range of other support and activities are also provided
- A minimum of 6 one-to-one mentoring sessions run by qualified and experienced mentors with lived experience
- Family support and mediation
- Parents and carers workshops/seminars in the community
- Fun and interactive workshops in schools
- Functional fitness and sports specific to individuals’ interests
- Support with returning to education, training, and employment
We aim to achieve the following outcomes for young people:
- Reduced likelihood of involvement in drug dealing
- Reduced anti-social behaviour and criminal activities
- Improved mental health and well-being
- Improved decision-making skills and ability to make positive choices
- Develop skills to help manage challenging situations (conflict) and their own behaviour.
- Increased knowledge and understanding of the consequences of violence and crime.
- Increased knowledge and understanding of the signs of grooming and exploitation and developing strategies to avoid being a victim
- Improved relationships and support networks via peers, family, and trusted adults
Young people (13 to 21) who are:
- identified at risk of being groomed and exploited for drug dealing
- are involved in initial stages of drug dealing
- are suspected of drug dealing by the Met Police and THEO’s
Note: we do not take on referrals of young people with pending CJS cases
Making a Referral and Contact Details
General referrals should be made directly to the Senior Mentoring Officer: email@example.com
Referrals from our partners from the criminal justice system should be sent directly to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like further information, please email Kamal Khan email@example.com or contact Osmani Trust on 020 7247 8080.
58 Underwood Rd, London E1 5AW
Phone: 0207 247 8080
The Second Chance Programme (SCP) has successfully been shortlisted as a finalist for the prestigious Children and Young People Now 2021 awards. This is the ‘gold standard’ for recognition for excellence working with children, young people, and families in the UK.